Love Chinese food, but don’t love all the money you spend on regular takeout or all the grease and oil used in most Chinese dishes? Though you might not think it possible, you can make your own fried rice at home – and, even better, there’s no need to buy a wok! Read on to discover a quick, delicious, and totally customizable recipe for Fried Rice.
• 3 tablespoons butter, divided
• 2 eggs, whisked
• 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
• 1 small white onion, diced
• 1/2 cup frozen peas
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• salt and black pepper
• 4 cups cooked and chilled rice
• 3 green onions, thinly sliced
• 3–4 tablespoons soy sauce, or more to taste
• 2 teaspoons oyster sauce (optional)
• 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until melted. Add egg, and cook until scrambled, stirring occasionally. Remove egg, and transfer to a separate plate.
2. Add an additional 1 tablespoon butter to the pan and heat until melted. Add carrots, onion, peas, and garlic, and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onion and carrots are soft.
3. Increase heat to high, add in the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter, and stir until melted.
4. Immediately add the rice, green onions, soy sauce, and oyster sauce (if using), and stir until combined.
5. Continue stirring for an additional 3 minutes to fry the rice. Then add in the eggs and stir to combine. Remove from heat and stir in the sesame oil until combined. Taste and season with extra soy sauce, if needed.
6. Serve immediately or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Preparing the perfect meal for your family can be a challenge—to say the least. With delightful recipe suggestions from Westmount at Three Fountains Apartments in San Antonio, Texas, you all are sure to eat well every day of the week!